Monday, October 12, 2009

The Birds, The Bees and The Guinea Pigs


I bought out the babies this morning for Caleb as soon as he got up. He is an absolute Mother hen and adores them so much. They have been christened Smoo, Smudge, Smuzzie and Mo. I spoke to the pet shop and she is confident that they are both girls so I am taking them all in tomorrow. She thinks that she may of been pregnant when I bought her as the breeder didn't separate them from 4 weeks of age. We may have to buy another cage so we can have a boy camp and a girl camp. The other option is a stiff drink of whiskey and some ice packs for the boys after a trip to the vet and a scalpel.

Caleb's take on guinea pig birth - The ones that look like Sid are hatched from Sid's eggs and the ones that look like Dave from Dave's eggs and perhaps they would like to go to the shop tonight to get some more babies so that he can have 5 tomorrow. I tried to explain that they came from Sid's tummy and that was why she was so big and that they have to spend time with their Mummy so she can feed them. I got a cold blank stare, followed by "Don't be ridiculous!"

My take on guinea pig birth - I am not ashamed to say I once coveted the life of a guinea pig. Eat all you want, have someone clean your house, let out little chirps and food arrives, it doesn't sound all that bad let me tell you. I didn't read the fine print though - pregnant at 6 weeks old with a 2 month gestation and then quite often knocked up again within 12 hours of birth - that deal doesn't sound so good any more.

13 comments:

Tania said...

Hilarious! Though I was momentarily bamboozled by your take on the life of a GP (General Practitioner). Somehow I hadn't imagined chirping tendencies in doctors.

CurlyPops said...

What a crack up....are you going to keep them all?

Sally said...

Awesome photos! What pure delight is expressed on your son's face.

After reading the fine print re: life of a guinea pig I wouldn't be one for quids!!!

Jennifer Rose said...

aww very cute :) yeah sounds like the males and females were not separated in time, even tho with some small animals it can be hard to tell the gender

Aussie-waffler said...

12 hours you say ?? Hmm, no, I think I'd pass on the luxurious life of a gp. Doesn't Caleb look every inch the doting Papa bear, gorgeous.

One Flew Over said...

Ha Ha! I had to do a dounle tak when I read about your coveted life as a GP (I thought doctor)...and then the penny dropped! Hysterical!!

Christina Lowry said...

Ha! I thought general practitioner too! Oh Tania, glad I am not alone. Now that I am up to speed, yes, my goodness, who would want to be a female gp, but a male gp, not so bad as long as you can avoid that scalpel!

Very cute bubbas and funny little names. Love the idea of the two different types of eggs! Aren't children's imaginations really something?! :)

Karen said...

I love Caleb's response - as if you know what you are talking about mum!
Gestation is better than the almost two years and elephant has to sedure - there would be seriously swollen feet (all four of them) at the end of that pregnancy!

Victoria said...

My gosh, I have never seen on that small before.

Rachael said...

Oh wow! Its like an episode of 'All Creatures Great and Small' at your house! x

Amber said...

Oh they are sooooooooo cute! Caleb looks so so in love. Congrats and love t you sweet lady...xxx

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I was just about to sign up to be a guinea pig in my next life till your last sentence. They are very cute thoughl

jen said...

hi cindy, i'm enjoying your blog! this post is so funny, i mean, don't be ridiculous, right? those baby guinea pigs are so cute, even if they won't stand still for a second!