Hopefully these photos are a little clearer.
This is a great way to use up fabric scraps. I just made a template of roughly the size I wanted each 'window' to be, pinned in whatever grouping I thought looked good and sewed them all up. Once I had done that I found the smallest one and cut all of them to the same size (super easy if you have on of Kirsty's Mulit-tasker). Then you just sew them up with your contrasting strips, which was the only material I needed to buy along with the oil cloth for the back. I used polester filling as I wanted it to be quite sturdy but you could not even use batting if you didn't want as the oil cloth adds quite a bit of structure. I used some basting spray which didn't work fab on the oil cloth but enough to hold it still while I tied the knots. I sewed the binding on to the oil cloth side, even though it was the back and then hand stiched the front, much easier on the fingers.
Used these knots
Oilcloth from Amitie